Swarland Primary School Admissions Policy
The catchment area for this school is comprised of the villages of Longframlington, Swarland and Newton on the Moor. All new parents who would like their child/children to attend Swarland Primary School Reception are asked to complete a preference form. These forms are sent to homes, in September by Northumberland Council, and can be returned to County. The school’s Pupils Admission Number is 17, this means that no more than 17 children can be admitted into any age group.
The law does not require children to start school until they are five years old but all children start school here in the September preceding their fifth birthday.
Children joining Swarland Primary School stay until the end of Year 6 and then transfer to the Duchess High School in Alnwick. Children living in Longframlington may choose to transfer to Dr. Thomlinson C. of E. Middle School, Rothbury at the age of nine and then move to King Edward VI High School in Morpeth. However there is parental choice for all parents in the route they choose.
The following information is taken from the Northumberland County Council Handbook .
How do I apply for a school place for my child?
You must apply to the Local Authority area you live in. Each local authority has its own Common Application Form which you will need to complete even if you are applying for a school outside your Local Authority area.
You will be sent information about how to apply in October. The admissions portal for online applications opens on 1 November.
The Northumberland admissions website is https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Education/Schools/Admissions.aspx?nccredirect=1
You should complete an application form setting out the schools you would prefer their child to attend.
You can express preferences for up to 3 schools. You need to set out the reasons for your preferences, using the criteria for prioritising applications: stating a preference is not making a choice, places are allocated according to equal preference.
If applications for places at a particular school exceed the Published Admission Number, priority is given in accordance with the criteria set out below.
When a school is oversubscribed, after the admission of pupils with Statements of Special Educational Needs where the school is named in the statement, priority for admissions will be given to those children who are deemed to be ’looked after’ or who have previously been ’looked after’.
The priority order for considering the remaining applications is as follows:
- Pupils living within the catchment area of the school and those on whose behalf firm evidence is presented that they will be living in the catchment area by the appropriate admission date.
- Pupils with special circumstances, on whose behalf evidence of exceptional medical or exceptional social need is presented. For example, where one or both parents or the child have a disability that may make travel to a school that is further away difficult. Evidence must be supported in a written statement by a professionally involved third party, such as a doctor or a social worker.
- Pupils with siblings already in the school and who are expected to be on roll at the school at the time of admission who live within the greater catchment area of the school partnership.
- Pupils living within the greater catchment area of the school partnership and those on whose behalf firm evidence is presented that they will be living in the partnership catchment area by the appropriate admission date.
- Pupils who have a sibling who already attends the school.
- Pupils on whose behalf preferences are expressed on grounds other than those outlined above.
Further useful information, including an online version of the Northumberland County Admissions Handbook and application forms can be found on the Council’s website available at: https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Education/Schools/Admissions.aspx?nccredirect=1 . . If you have any queries or need further help to fill in the application forms then please contact the County’s School Admissions Team on 01670 624889.